Monday 30 October 2017

The colours of Morocco - Mixing Pigments

By way of a change I spent a pleasant afternoon recently making some of my own oil paint from pigments purchased in a fascinating store in Marrakech.
 I'd visited the colourful Majorelle gardens where the walls  are painted in the glorious colour known as Majorelle Blue, and the pots containing cacti and other exotic plants are  in vibrant shades of red and yellow.
 I wish now that I had bought more bags of pigment but I chose these three colours only.  An online tutorial instructed me how to mix linseed oil and pigment together on a sheet of glass, combining these carefully to eliminate any air, and this took roughly half an hour.  I used the three colours to produce some small pictures of my memories of the Majorelle gardens.
 I also purchased some empty aluminium paint tubes from Jackson's Art Supplies and mix the remaining pigments to keep for future  use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment